Monday, April 28, 2008

Athletics or Acadimics

As i began my research i found it very difficult to find information about my essential question. Most of my searches led me back to the same thing which was colleges just mainly talking about the history of there academic programs or the history of there athletic programs i tried many different ways to type in my search like colleges academics vs athletics, and what are colleges main priority academics or athletics but most of these searches just sent me to colleges like the university of southern cal and drake talking about there 100 years of academic excellence but i could never seem to find the two being compared side by side to see which one colleges adored more. So as i was realizing that searching my topic on Google , yahoo, and ask.com where useless until Mr Malley showed us a new way to search on Google that will narrow done our searches tremendously called Boolean search techniques. These techniques just happened to be what i needed to jump start my search again. The top web Google search that appeared was a site with a article that was tittled "Athletics vs Academics" by Adena Andrews this rite here was just what i have been looking for. In her article she promotes a very interesting question which was when did college athletics become more important than the actual college and she makes a few pretty good points to express her point of view. She tells how in 2006 the university of Texas spent 8 million dollars on a jumbo tron the university told tuition and tax payers earlier that year that there money would be going towards better professors . Adena Andrews also 2001 to 2004 that the athletic budgets at division 1 schools had more than doubled in spending and. Even after telling about all of this Adena has more to tell as she goes on to say how say that at the university of southern California that it is a regular thing when a regular academic student is denied enrollment in a class because it is full of athletes and that athletes get early enrolment in classes because they play sports. The article that Adena Andrews wrote held many things that i was looking for to help me jump start my search again she i hope that i can continue with the recent success i have experienced in my search to help me find a answer to my essential question.

Andrews, Adena. "Athletics vs Academics." Athletics vs Academics 09062006 05062008 .

3 comments:

Ramon B said...

I agree it is very hard to find info on sports over academics. But its is findable and very intresting. I hope the information is eaiser to find. Like looking on different universities foe info.

Joel said...

Ramon...way to be on task while I'm not there! Keep everyone going! I'm holding you personally responsible, lol.

Jamar said...

It is hard finding information on that topic but i think if you continue to search you will find out what you are looking for.